Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gluten Free Whole Grain


Things are definitely in a transitional phase here, and I have to admit I'm pretty excited about it. With the addition of the new Gluten Free Product Review Blog, my ToDo list has gotten more full than ever. I'm okay with this! My first review (Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix) should be up this afternoon. You can look for it at www.glutenfreeproductreview.blogspot.com.



Enough of my ramblings for now, on to the main event. I was shopping the other day and couldn't help but notice the overabundance of whole grain items on the shelves. I found myself remembering fondly how much I used to enjoy whole grain foods. Then it occurred to me that most of the options available to me now that I am wheat free are bleached, processed and lacking the nutrition that was once so accessible to me. (this didn't take as long as it seems, at no point was I just standing in the grocery store staring into the past.)

Well, luckily I am extremely fond of research. I hopped on my trusty Mac and looked to see what I could see. What I found out was that I was already doing the right thing by buying brown rice instead of white and adding quinoa to my diet. I also discovered that buckwheat is a great whole grain alternative too.

By the way, though buckwheat has nothing to do with wheat what so ever, wheat grass is literally wheat grass. Technically, wheat grass should be gluten free because the gluten develops in the seed kernel only. There is a high chance of cross contamination here and many gluten intolerant people do react to wheat grass. So, if you must wade through the wheat grass, do it with caution (you could get stung).

For more on Gluten Free Whole Grains, check out the whole article on Suite 101.

Thought for the day: Tonight I'm making rice pizza, I have high hopes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about gluten free whole grain. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about gluten free whole grain.
    Whole-grain products can be identified by the ingredients list. Typically, if the ingredient lists "whole wheat," "whole meal," or "whole corn" as the first ingredient, the product is a whole-grain food item.

    gluten free whole grain has no chemical additives, no preservatives, GMO free, no milk, no egg and Kosher Certified.

    ReplyDelete