Sunday, July 12, 2009

Staying Gluten Free on the Go

I just looked at the date of my last post, and wow, time flies! I've been really busy helping my daughter get ready for her first horse show. She did great, by the way. Now it's time for me to get back on track.

The show was outside on a very hot day. Due to my absolute paranoia of concession stands (nothing against them, they're just really easy to contaminate since most workers are not gluten minded.) we packed an entire cooler of snacks and goodies to sustain us through the day. Using this recent experience, I'll share with you what I've learned about staying gluten free on the go.

When you are planning to be away from home for a long time, there is always a difficult issue of food to deal with. Hiking, camping, horse shows :) and even a day at the beach can take more planning when you can't safely sample the local fare. Try stuffing a cooler with these gluten free snacks to get you through the day.

Lunches and Snacks
  • Fresh fruit- We took bananas, apples and grapes. They're quick, portable and very sustaining on a hot day.
  • Carrots and Ranch- A bag of baby carrots and some individual cups of ranch make a great side dish.
  • Deli Meats and Cheeses- Take the thicker cut of meat. You can easily wrap a piece of cheese in a piece of meat for a quick lunch roll-up. We did smoked turkey and colby cheese, delicious!
  • Chips and salsa- A bag of corn chips and my new discovery of individual salsa cups.
Desserts and Sweets

My daughter has an insatiable sweet tooth. I didn't want too much sugar, due to the heat, so I packed healthy sweets.
  • Yoplait Go-gurt- These tubes were easy to pack and eat on the go.
  • True North Nut Clusters- They have several different flavors and taste like candy. Unlike most trail mixes, they are not processed in the same plant with wheat.
  • Raisins- Sweet, plump and juicy. I think raisins are often under-rated as a dessert food.
Drinks

Most drinks are gluten free, so we could have gotten them from the concession stand. The cheaper and healthier option though was to by a case of bottled water (24 bottles for $3.88) and an 8-pack of Powerade (about $4) from Wal-Mart. We stayed very well hydrated and didn't spend a fortune.

In reality, I packed way too much food for this event, but with this kind of variety there was always something to munch which eliminated the longing looks toward the concession stand and the attempts at, "Maybe we could just look?"

Thought for the day: Good luck to all of you with your outings this summer. Don't forget your sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment