Monday, December 21, 2009

Long Distance Christmas Preparation

Merry Christmas, everyone!  And Happy Holidays!  There is so much to do to prepare for the big day that getting caught up is so easy to do.  Problem is, this year I am not home to do it.



I decided to spend the last few days before Christmas with my dad in the country.  Good times!  The plan was to clear out all of the gluten free essentials from the pantry at home and take them with me.  I also had to decide what else I would need for any last minute baking.  I put off packing for as long as I could, dreading the planning involved.  Turns out, I was needlessly worried.

I ended up bringing cereal, soup fixings, spaghetti and a loaf of gluten free bread.  Seriously!  The change in plans came from the fact that I realized that I was over thinking things.  I'm all about simplification, and decided to apply some here.  The point of the change in location was to enjoy time with my dad, not to cook.  So I created the time/ingredient ratio.

The time/ingredient ratio is easy.  You plan the amount of time you actually wish to spend in the kitchen, and only bring the food necessary to do so.  That way, there is no guilt over unused ingredients and no dilemma over how to spend time.  Now, since there is no gluten free flour here, I feel no push to bake with it!

My plan is to apply the time/ingredient ratio to every vacation I take in the future.  Happy days ARE here again :)

Thought for the day:  At this point it occurs to me that I may be over thinking simplification....

No comments:

Post a Comment