Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wow, Dating Has Changed!


So, I know that I subject hop around on this blog a lot, and today is a really big hop. I want to start out by saying that Searching for Serenity is not meant to be a highly directed, focused subject blog. It is more like a dumping ground for someone who has a lot going on in life and spends waaaaay too much time on the internet. With that being said, I just have to touch on something interesting I fell into today - Dating Cards.


My workday is usually pretty scattered. I write a little content here, do a little social media there, etc. The one constant is the steady background soundtrack provided by the shuffle button on Pandora. I love Pandora! It has great music and the commercials usually don't bother me much... until I heard one today that pulled me right out of the work haze I was in. It was for a printing company, advertising business cards and dating cards.

Now, I did use a bit of my super logic powers to figure out what dating cards are, but I needed to know more. Turns out this is the new trend in dating. People are rushing out to get cards printed with their personal information so they don't have to give a business card to potential dates. I actually found one article that recommended giving the card to a waiter in a restaurant so he could pass it on to someone for you.

I know that my mentality has changed a lot since I got married, and I know that dating is hard... I have plenty of single friends that are swimming in this shark-infested pool.... But are you kidding me?! Dating cards?!

This has to be either the most pretentious thing I've seen, or the silliest. The jury is still out. I'm just trying to imagine the play through on this: My sis and I are out dancing and we go to the bar for a drink. The bartender smiles and hands my sis a dating card and motions to a gentleman at the end of the bar. The gentleman winks, nods, and walks away. I can just see the look on my sister's face. It would be a mix of amusement, annoyance and disbelief. She would then show me the card and we would spend the rest of the night making jokes.

I want you to understand, this is not because we are mean. It is because if a man, or woman for that matter, doesn't have the courage to approach and initiate contact in person, he/she is not worth calling later. Also, I know that cards of any kind are printed in sets of at least 250. That means that this person either A. dates a lot, or B. plans on handing out their number to a lot of random people. The very concept of dating cards takes the fun and personality out of meeting someone new for the first time.

On the other hand, I had so much fun with this concept today that I created the card you see pictured above. I think maybe this is a field I need to branch into. (hee hee) I would love to see some sort of response on this - What do you think? Dating cards: yea or nay?

Thought for the Day: I'm starting to think that I'm a bit of a traditionalist/romantic when it comes to relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment